Tuesday, April 29, 2008

keukenhof!

Just a short introduction about Keukenhof and then I'll shut up and let the flowers speak for themselves.

The Keukenhof is open only for a peek-a-boo-play-hard-to-get 2 month period each year during Spring. Located in The Netherlands about a half an hour bus ride away from the Amsterdam Schipol airport, Keukenhof boasts a bountiful collection of gorgeous magnificent flowers and sensational splash of colours. I swear there are some exquisite colours I have never seen before in my life! Say between the dark blue and light blue continuum there are like about 15375328649 other shades of blue! Serious!

Keukenhof receives over 750,000 national and international visitors annually and that is definitely not hard to believe. The Keukenhof which has a a park concept, offers the opportunity to see millions of bulbs in flower, entertaining flower shows (ie: flower arrangement classes), glass houses with flowers on competition to competes which flower will be THE flower of the week (like the pros will come and rank them upon a 1-10 scale, there silly me was taking ten million photos with a flower I thought was very pretty and then when I saw the rating it was only like a 7.6 - jaw drop to the feet kind!), and is the largest sculpture park in the Netherlands. There are like SOOO many flowers there and each one has their own unique name, kudos to whoever comes up with all these names. Check out for some cool names in the pictures like '(Suma) Cum Laude', 'Fancy Frills', 'Lady Jane' etc. The HUGE ass orange tulip named 'Giant Orange Sunset' is THE biggest tulip in the WORLD!!! OH MY guess what, Keukenhof is THE most photographed place in the world. Shaun, Weims, Nabs, Jac, Jh... you guys will love it! The camera lens that some of the visitors there use are INSANE, I think its like your ultimate fantasy! The lens there can like can stretch to close to 1 metre long costs ten million dollars kind! Hardcore!

Visiting the park on a mid week Wednesday with the 6 of you was the best! Basking and enjoying the full glory of Spring together made everything all the more surreal. Its like TULIPS galore there, hmmm even the word galore is an understatement!! Mum, to be honest, the thought of plucking a tulip for you and parceling it back did cross my mind (I mean who would even notice 1 tulip is gone amidst the millions of tulips right?), right. But my fingers were shivering and I couldn't bear to disrupt the peace. Hahaha

Everything there looked soo freaking perfect with each flower strategically placed. For example, we overheard a Keukenhof guide telling a visitor that Flower X was placed next to flower Y just so as to bring out the true essence of flower X. It must have took months of planning to create that impeccable experience. The crowd there was very international because beauty like this transcends all boundaries.

Keukenhof is the closest to what I imagine heaven to be like. My utopia, my perfect rapture.

You know usually when you take a picture you have to like aim properly then okay 1,2,3, shoot? At Keukenhof its like ANYHOW close eyes aim and take also DAMNNNN nice. ANY picture taken at the Keukenhof will look like an art piece because of the striking colours, period. Even using my humble digital point and shoot camera, I think there is a 100% chance I will win a SMUSAIC photography competition with those photos, hands down. Haha errr jokes?

WARNING: please mentally prepare your eyes for some rich, vivid, vibrant colours ahead! Editing done on photos - Zilch, to showcase the flowers in their full honest glory. With that said, put on some classical music, spray some floral scented perfume in the air (guys, go borrow from your mum/girlfriend/sister/auntie) and you're ready to go :)

a thousand words is not enough to describe it,
you got to see it to believe it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha yes dear, I was there at Keukenhof this time two years ago. This is the tulip field I was telling you confirm must go! I'm glad you went (:

cai said...

poh, i see RCC has trained you well.

and lee! u found your honours scroll amidst the flowers? how cool is that.