Hello everybody!! :) Honestly, I've never had a blog before and even just being the co-author of this blog, it gives me great pressure to write my FIRST official blog post ever! So this is how I plan it to be. I decided my first post will be a "did you know" (ge kiang act factual only) trivia styled one just to get YOUR feet wet and hopefully allow you to get a taste of the dutch culture which P-sters and I will be immersed in during the most formative time of our lives at Universiteit Maastricht.
-Puts on BBC newscaster voice-
Besides Heineken, G-Star, ING Group, Shell, the Anne Frank diary and Vincent Van Gogh amongst others, what else do you know about the Dutch??
Well, not too long ago when Poh and I were bored waiting in queue at the Netherlands Embassy in Singapore, I picked up this orange little handbook about life and study in holland kindly provided by nuffic.nl which I found pretty interesting:
-The dutch are statistically the tallest people in the world
-The Netherlands was one of the European Union's founding nations
-There are 16 million bicycles in Holland, which is about one for every inhabitant
-The highest point in Holland is 323 metres high and is called a 'mountain'. It is situated on the border with Belgium and Germany in one of the more remote parts of the country
-You'll find a bunch of flowers in almost every living room
-People of 200 nationalities live in Amsterdam
-When your plane arrives in Schipol, it lands 4.5metres below sea level
-The Netherlands has one of the youngest populations in the EU
-The International Court of Justice sits at the Peace Palace in The Hague
-Some of the major cities of the world were once Dutch: New York (USA), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Recife (Brazil) and Jakarta (Indonesia)
-One in every three Dutch people are members of a sports club
-With almost 1,000 museums, Holland has the highest museum density in the world
-The first World Press Photo Exhibition was held in Holland
Those are facts which can be read off most Holland tourist information books.
What Poh and I will try our best to provide you on this blog will be OUR Dutch experience from a Singaporean perspective.
A shoutout to everyone back home, you know who you are! Stay tuned! :)
xoxo, GG ( heh jokes)
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment