Wednesday, May 7, 2008

happy ?? birthday mum!

Everytime my mum and I,

decide to have one of our mother-daughter paint the town red outings, without fail someone (ie: salesgirl, cashier, waiter, toilet auntie, hawker etc etc) will always assume we're sisters. Always.

Then, when I try to clarify things my mum will either start kicking me under the table or give that sheepish "Shh! let's just leave things as it is" expression and start giggly like a convent schoolgirl. But sometimes I just cannot take it lying down like that and so I start explaining she's my mum and everything and then at that instance that someone will go "NOoOoOoOOO" in the draggiest of tones like I just said the most preposterous fact ever and then shoot me that "you're such a compulsive liar blatently lying through your teeth" look. It's either she looks really young or I look like a yucksish chao lao gui. Either ways, good for her, bad for me. But to be honest, I think if she enrolls in any Hot Mum Pageant she'll win hands down. Speaking of which, I think there was such a contest years back at J8 and OMG please, "NoOoOoooOo, can't competes kind". (stop smiling mum, hurhur!)

We have always shared a very unconventional relationship for the longest time. There's not much of a hierarchy and we're more of friends really. Sometimes even I feel like I'm her mum keeping a lookout for her half the time. Going for lunches together, watching movies, shopping, afternoon teas, exploring Café del Mar and St James for the first time together, drinking sessions at Dempsey, partying at 57 Chevy together (though i must admit everytime i enter i feel like i just pulled the average age down a tad bit), gossiping (in teochew; thats probably how my repertoire of teochew words increased tremendously) and sharing dirty jokes.

Actually, don't get me wrong my mum can be a wildchild but at the same time she's motherly too. Overly protective with the million of phonecalls, anti-stayovers, super conservative and loves grilling and embarrassing my boyfriends with the birds and bees stories.

Here's wishing a very HAPPY ?? Birthday to the most beautiful, self-sacrificial, generous, cheeky, young at heart, open minded, down to earth (but i'd rather still take sound advice from Dad), jokerish and loving Mum in the world!

hint: ?? = >21yrs

xoxo, *a*y g*o*e


No comments: