Sunday, March 2, 2008

hallelujah!

Because of the insane workload this week, it was the first time since I arrived that I didn't utilize the weekend for my travel escapades. On saturday around 3.30pm, I spontaneously said "Poh lets attend the 5pm mass" and to my surprise he agreed. If we missed this slot, it meant we had to wait one whole week for the next one as there is only one time slot in the WHOLE of Maastricht for Catholic masses held in English. The rest are celebrated in Dutch.

The congregation of purely English speaking people in Maastricht was truly a small community. We entered the Church, only to find that mass was conducted in a crypt (smaller room in the basement, akin to an underground vault). It was still very cosy nonetheless with small lamps and candles proving a warm dim lighting (had to squint at the prayer booklet). Due to the space constraints, the priest was accompanied by only 1 super teeny weeny alter boy as opposed to 12 alter boys in Singapore. I feel that the atmosphere here is so much better than in Singapore. Its quiet and really a place of solace. Perhaps the old cathedral style ambience contributed to it.

We prayed fervently for our family and friends back home, for new friends made here, for our new lives here in Maastricht, for safety, for unwavering faith in God despite being in a foreign land where its all about partying and travelling.

Most of all, Poh and I prayed for us.

Face it: Living together with someone for a long period of time, there's bound to be conflicts.
The past week the both of us have been at loggerheads about almost everything. Thank goodness we have resolved our differences and alls good for now. haha


Onze Lieve Vrouwe - Church of Our Lady

Oh guess what! The website mentioned a free tour of the Church of Our Lady is possible for those who study in Maastricht.

"Contact the student-chaplain pastor@maastricht.studentpastoraat.nl for an appointment".

Sweet.

We might do just that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dropping by to say a HIIII my dearest cousin!

So am i really one of your best shopping ka-kees? I'M TOUCHED! came to a realisation that we hardly shop together as compared to our naive little days! WHEN U COME BACK, I"M GONNA BOOK YOU. JUST. TO. SHOP. ok?

knowing that work load's a bitch, remember to take a breather every now and then.

stay good over there!

<3

and hi to poh too!


-STEPH-

Anonymous said...

The photo of you and Poh is super amusing. Glad that things are better now.

"Love is patient. Love is kind." (:

undergrounder said...

hey steph yeah compared to our naive shopping days where everything was 'sui!' haha, looking back at some of our juvenile clothes in the past its like hello where's the fashion police! haha. yes book me book me please! I should be back mid july so get readyyyy!

love you baby cousin! :)

undergrounder said...

jac306! aww thanks for your lovely comment :) ive been reading your blog too it entertains me! beautiful photos! keep it up dear! misss you!