Monday, March 31, 2008

daylight savings

Remember a few entries before, we introduced to you our 48 year old Dutch friend - Cyril?

Well, on Thursday (27th March), I received an email from him. See, the thing with Cyril is that he loves hosting Asian exchange students and always has the coolest of trips/events thoughtfully lined up for us. So when I got his email, there I was secretly excited and happy thinking that I was exclusive and special!

I enthusiastically opened the mail and hmmm lemme see he ONLY forwarded the message to 15 other Asians!

On a sidenote: From this mail (like all others), you can sense nothing but genuine estasy and unfaltering zealousness when it comes to educating his Asian friends about Dutch affairs. Mum, if you're reading this, for the 10th time; I reassure you he's not some psycho out to rape girls and his interest in us is unadulterated and we Singaporeans (okay well not everyone's on the same boat yet), have certified him safe-to-hang-with. Our dear plucky Chian even went to his house alone TWICE to cook dinner with his mum Gerry!

The mail read like this...

"Hello friends,
After a wet,white and cold easterweekend the weather will be better;even we have sometimes rain,the temp will climp up.From sunday the day temp will be between 14 and 18 degrees(they said..).

Other good news: this sunday we gone switch from winter in summertime,hurray!!For those of you who was here last semester,maybe you can remember we switch on the last sunday from october from summer in wintertime.This happen all over Europe,this switching I mean.What will happen?

Next sunday 30th of march at 2am,you have to change your time on your watch,alarms etc. in 3am!!

Yes, he even included the picture! damn cutish or what!

As you can see in this picture.I suggest you do before you go to bed or at 2am.Otherwise you will wake up one hour too late,haha!!This time switching started in Holland around 1975,just for economical
reason;one hour more daylight in the eve means,you can start your light in the house one hour later.
Also jobs/hobbies outside you can one more hour.

I can remember,in the early years of switching,not all countries did.Holland and Belgium switched but The Germans didn't.as you know we live not so far from The German border so we visit more times but in summerseason we always switched again our summertime in wintertime because in Germany it was one hour early then for us.Yes,yes the good old time but now all countries switch together even they are not member of the EU.Attention,in Brittian it's always one hour early than here and this difference will be!!The Brittains switch like as us;otherwise their was a time difference of 2 hours.The same for Turkey.Their it's always one hour later then here.

So enough about time.When you have questions about,contact me.I will do my best to answer you!

Greetings from a friend on time:-)),
Cyril

----

So to reassure you that it wasn't just a creation of mere stupid small talk with an ulterior motive just to get close to us Asians, daylight savings indeed transpired and all our smart phones automatically updated themselves.


In the past, dark fell at about 7pm but now even at 9pm its still bright and sunny! There have even been rumours that in time to come, the sun will set only at 11pm.

Guess you'll be the first to hear about that, if/when it happens! :)

No comments: